Google BigQuery is available only on enterprise plan
What is Google BigQuery?
BigQuery is Google’s fully managed, petabyte scale, low cost analytics data warehouse. BigQuery is NoOps—there is no infrastructure to manage and you don’t need a database administrator—so you can focus on analysing data to find meaningful insights, use familiar SQL, and take advantage of the pay-as-you-go model.
SegmentStream allows you to use your own Google BigQuery as the central repository of data collected by the platform from one or more sources and essentially the main data warehouse where all the data will be stored.
The main benefits of using the BigQuery data warehouse solution are:
- Full Access: All data processed and collected by SegmentStream can be read, edited, and used in any analytics platform of your choice.
- Data Transfer Possibility: The data can be migrated if you plan to switch to another data warehouse in the future.
The downsides are:
- Complicated Initial Setup: You have to follow a guide in order to connect SegmentStream to your BigQuery.
- Connection Maintenance: Your BigQuery must have an active pricing plan and authorisation to access SegmentStream. Failure to maintain these requirements might lead to data loss.
- Cost Variation: The cost that occurs when SegmentStream is working on your BigQuery will have to be covered by you, as a result the monthly cost can vary depending on the amount of processed data and SegmentStream usage.
Overall, when using the BigQuery data warehouse solution you will fully own the data that SegmentStream will collect and process, with the downside that the initial setup is more complicated and the cost of running SegmentStream on your BigQuery isn’t fixed.
Enable BigQuery data warehouse
Enterprise plan users that want to store their data in their own Google BigQuery data warehouse can contact their project manager to enable this feature.
Once the feature is enabled you should see the BigQuery option appear in the Settings menu.
Click CONNECT GOOGLE BIGQUERY to log in with your Google account that has a Google Cloud Platform account associated with it.
Don’t have a Google Platform account? Follow this guide Creating a Google Cloud Platform account
Complete the connection by filling the fields in the BigQuery configuration form.
In order to use the AI attribution feature, SegmentStream requires access to the BigQuery project that is used by your SegmentStream BigQuery connection.
Follow this guide on how to provide the necessary access Granting BigQuery access to SegmentStream
Creating a Google Cloud Platform accountSetting up a billing accountCreating Google Cloud Platform projectGranting BigQuery access to SegmentStream